Regardless of what decade you were born in, it seems everyone has a soft spot for the 90s. Fashion in the 1990s was all about comfort and freedom. Casual looks were extremely popular brought on by the popularity of grunge and alternative rock music. Throughout the decade TV shows and film influenced fashion trends, hairstyles and inspired us with new style icons. Celebrate 90s fashion in these signature looks from the decade that shaped our style today.
5. Exercise-Wear – In early the 1990s, leftover trends from the 80s like leggings and leotards were still in style. Give this trend a try by wearing a black leotard with a printed maxi skirt belted at the waist and penny loafers. For style inspiration watch early seasons of the show “Friends.” Rachel Green wore plenty of leotards with maxi skirts and leg trousers.
4. Easygoing, Grunge-Inspired Look – In the second half of the 90s, movies like “Really Bites” did an amazing job at combining the trends of the time and showcasing looks that are still part of the fashion world today. Replicate Winona Ryder’s iconic grunge-inspired look by wearing a sleeveless floral print maxi dress with black Mary Jane pumps. Your makeup should consist of dark red lipstick and black eye liner. Blow dry your hair and tuck most of it behind your ears.
3. Preppy Style – Preppy clothing became once again popular after the film “Clueless” came out in 1995. The lead character Cher Horowitz’s preppy style was an instant hit and influenced late 90s fashion. This fictitious character is the most celebrated style icons in film. Replicate Cher’s coveted 90s look by wearing a blazer and skirt in matching plaid patterns with a white tee. Complete your look with white knee-high socks and Mary Jane shoes. Straightening your hair, wear nude lips and barely there makeup.
2. Conservative Chic – As preppy style was becoming popular, ladylike fashions inspired by the 50s was also making a comeback. Style a cardigan with a pencil skirt, kitten heels and sheer stockings. Adorn your cardigan with a brooch and wear stud earrings. For makeup, a subtle cat eye and nude lips goes well with this feminine style. Complete your look with The Rachel haircut, which was the most popular hairstyle of the 90s.
1. Disco Fashion – In the late 1990s, fashion was influenced by styles from the mid-late 1970s and this trend continued into the 2000s. Crop tops, metallic clothing, halter tops and pleather pants were extremely popular. At this time color started making a comeback, favored colors included plum, chocolate, and navy. Recreate this trend by wearing a striped tube top with a maxi skirt and jelly shoes. Accessorize with large hoop earrings, tinted sunglasses and beaded wristbands. Style your hair with beach waves and keep your eyes and lips bare.